Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Tobermoray


Last Wednesday I ventured off the island again, but t this time headed to Tobermoray, a nice little sea village on the east coast of the Isle of Mull.  Takes only one ferry and two buses to get there.  You may have seen images of Tobermoray on calendars or television.  It has the distinct visage of all the buildings on the Harbour walk being painted bright colors.  Unfortunately it was a rainy day when I was there so my pictures are not the best.
I walked along the shops.  Quite a nice collection of shops, silversmiths, jewelers, bookshops and a card shop painted purple and gold.  My favorite shop by far was the RNLI (Royal Navy Lifeboat Institute) shop, which is charity shop raising money for the RNLI.  They are a bit like our Coast Guard although with no military mission.  They are an all volunteer force whose tasks are sea search and rescue.  The Harbour there also had a nice assortment of sailboats including a catamaran I had seen last week in Oban.  Instead of sails it has two fixed wings which I suppose you adjust to the wind. 
I returned to the island of Iona on the last ferry and settled in for another week of work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment