Monday, July 12, 2010

Being prepared

There is much to be said for scouting programs that encourage, train and prepare young people to face lives challenges. They even have the phrase “be prepared” as a part of their pledge or motto. I am coming to realize that being prepared takes on a whole new meaning in other places. It is summer on Iona and the United Kingdom which means that it will be beautiful one minute and then it will rain. Significantly. In torrents. For about 10 minutes. And then it will stop, and the sun will shine. There is very little warning. It simply rains. Forecasts don’t seem to matter. The only thing that is predictable is the wind, as in there will be a little more wind today than yesterday. I am learning to say, “oh good its raining.” You must be prepared. You must have your waterproofs with you at all times.
Now I admit to not being wholly prepared. The correct answer to “do you want to get your foul weather gear off the boat?” would have been “of course, what a practical idea” instead of “no, I’m good.” I do have my raincoat with me and it is perfect. Stylish. Lightweight. Waterproof with a hood. What it is not is long enough. From mid thigh down I get dampish. Sometimes plain old wettish. Sometimes very wettish when I forget to carry it.
What else am I not prepared for? How will I prepare for what lies ahead? For example, how do I continue living in community when I physically don’t live in community.
This is a thin place.

No comments:

Post a Comment