Friday, July 26, 2013

Traveling music


About to draw these two summer semesters to a close and head off; a little traveling music please.

This has been a stay at home summer. At least so far. A stay at home and spend bucket loads of money. Some on fun stuff – like MacKinnon. Some on necessary stuff – two fully functional toilets. A summer when most of my involvement in anything has been part of preparation for other things.

I have been working on a research project for then end of the summer.

I have been working on some consultation materials, along with a little trip to Dallas, and a side trip to Paris (Texas, not France).

I have been working on a sermon (yes, I get to preach).

I have been working on the arrangements for a major trip next summer (yes, more searching).

I have been working to pay for the major trip next summer.

I have been working on new ideas for the fall, both at school and at church.

Which brings me to; we are always headed somewhere. Sometimes it involves great plans; Walking the Camino de Santiago, volunteering on Iona, visiting Holy Island. Sometimes it involves extensive planning; drive to Galveston, spend couple of days with family, fly to Colorado, spend a couple of days with friends, drive to another part of Colorado, present research findings, fly back to Houston, couple of days with other friends, and then drive home. Sometimes it involves the banal; groceries, hardware, gasoline, avoid big stores, use small stores, can I get that done before the other needs done. And in all of that we are on the move, maybe at a glacial pace, maybe much faster.

But the preparation for our journey makes it so much smoother.

Let's make this a thin place.   

No comments:

Post a Comment