Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Can't go home again....

Home.  Where is home?  

I have admitted my vagabond ways previously.  I am comfortable most places, but where is home?  Is home the tired cliche, "where the heart is?"  Is home one of the evolving cliches "home is where you hang your hat," "home is where you lay your head," or "home is where your family or friends are."  Maybe you just want to go all theological and say that heaven is my home.  Maybe you want to go all financial, home is what the mortgage covers.  

Home.  Not sure.  But home for me seems to be wherever I am at the moment, and whoever I am with makes up the inhabitants.  It will be where I lay my head, for now. Most of the time it is comfortable, much of the time it is where my heart is, and occasionally, if I have a hat with me, I will hang it there. 

So over the past week I have been at home in Galveston, one of my mortgage homes. I have been in Colorado Springs, a new home for me.  And I have been in Allenspark Co, in a rustic camp setting home.  And later this week I will back track those travels and return to home in North Louisiana.  And not to long after that I will set out again on another small adventure.  

Now my immediate family and pup are in North Louisiana, so don't hear me say that I don't cherish them, i love them dearly, and being from them makes me sad and returning makes me glad.  But that may not be home  

Maybe home is where God sets us down?   And we can never really know how long that is for.  I am prayerful that my openness to home is something that God is up to, and that I can create home wherever God plants me.  

This will be a thin place.,  

No comments:

Post a Comment