Friday, July 12, 2013

Meet MacKinnon

And as with things that pass, there are things that step into those empty places.  Because this is the 21st century and because I work on a great many projects, it was necessary to replace Howard, the dead PC, with a new machine.

And as my niece so nicely put it, "Welcome to the dark side,"  MacKinnon joined the family last week. Yes, MacKinnon is one of those bright and shiny new Apples.

Now I am not one for material possessions.  I am actually the antithesis of a possessor of material goods.  And to be truthful, I still look at MacKinnon and think, I could have bought a new sofa for the price of this computer.  But, allow me to rationalize.

I write.  I write a lot.  And the fact that my old PC had actually WORN out (techno-geek said he wasn't sure he had ever seen a PC with that many user hours on it), led me to believe that the most cost efficient purchase was to go with a Mac.  Now with that comes an entire learning curve.  Not only do I now have to learn a new operating system, which was going to occur regardless of the type of computer I purchased.  I have to learn all these new features.  Like Command-somehting is what control-something used to be.  There is a function and control key, however, I haven't quite gotten to their purpose yet.  I am learning that just because something can't be seen doesn't mean that its not open and working.  I am learning that a careless swipe of your fingers takes you to desktop displays that you were not aware existed.  So with all this learning, it has taken a bit to get up to steam, but with all new things there is a time of 'getting to know you."

This is not a thin place, but it can help me reveal them.

No comments:

Post a Comment