Monday, June 17, 2013

Not easily surprised



I have a friend that says I know everything.  I argue that I don’t.  I simply have had a variety of experiences that contribute to a broad knowledge base.  I will admit that I am a good person to have on your trivia team, but I don’t know everything. 

But what I typically know, is what is about to happen.  It’s not that I can predict the future, but experiences that you have had, can lead you to make a fairly accurate assessment of what will occur.  Consider it situational profiling.  Typically I am very good at situational profiling, and therefore, I am not easily surprised. 

So imagine my surprise when I was surprised no less than three times over the past week. 
1.       A friend of mine was present in worship at my local church and was introduced by the pastor.  He was there to give an award, a rather prestigious, significant award to someone.  I was so excited because I KNEW that he was giving the award to the mission director.  You can’t imagine my shock when he said my name.  I was stunned.  Surprise.
2.      The worship planner for annual conference asked me to be the deacon that processed in with the Holy Bible for the opening worship session.  I was honored.  Two days prior to annual conference we were given the order of worship, which includes the information that not only am I processing, I am holding the Bible open for the bishop to read from, and sending the gathering forth after worship.  I don’t actually like to do things that draw attention to myself.  I prefer to slip around the margins and shadows and work quietly and unnoticed.  Surprise. 
3.      Did I mention I don’t like to draw attention to myself.  Yes, I did.  So imagine my overwhelming joy when the Bishop called me to the platform – before the entire session of Annual Conference to say farewell, since I was no longer serving from the conference office.  NOT.  So much for the shadows.  Spotlight.  At least twice during annual conference.  Surprise. 

At least God’s grace had me out of the building when I was called to the platform for the third time during annual conference.  Enough of the surprises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment