Thursday, June 20, 2013

Keeping up to date



My calendar. 
            I may not be someone categorized as an “early adopter.”  I don’t always have the latest technology.  I live in the land of “you try it first, and tell me what doesn’t work.”  And eventually, at least in the second or third wave, I will get the almost latest gadget.  Except for the calendar. I just can’t seem to go electronic with the calendar.  Oh, I have tried.  I have the iPhone calendar and Google calendar and virtually every virtual calendar recommended by the aggregate app recommenders.  But just can’t seem to go there. 
            I must be able to touch my calendar.  I must be able to hold it my grubby mitts and see all seven days of the week or all 28/30/31 days of the month.  And even then that may not be enough.  I have criteria for the paper calendar/planner/organizer/journal which makes finding the “perfect” one nearly impossible.  And when I do it tends to be bigger than a house.  Well, that’s an exaggeration.  But it’s bigger than my purse, and too heavy to ever be stuck into my carry-on for travel.  And this is a beta-calendar, so I am not sure that I will adopt it for next year. 
            And it’s me, I know it is.  I don’t have that demanding of a schedule.  Well, I do, but not outside of the classroom.  And my classroom schedule is so demanding I can’t even put it in my calendar.  It exists on a chart in my office and directs me each day to where I am supposed to be.  So if my principle time demand, teaching, doesn’t even make it onto my calendar what is the deal?  I have gone back and forth between a be-all-do-all version, and multiple smaller individual components.  And this is nothing new – I have been pursuing the perfect calendar thingee for years.
            Confession.  Giving some consideration to creating my own planner/calendar/ organizer/journal. 
            Further confession.  I do have some sense of how long that will take me and I may not want to devote that much time and energy to something that is so timeless that it only lasts a year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment