Friday, June 21, 2013

Back up



Backing up your computer information is a lot like being the person who becomes extraordinarily healthy following a heart attack.  People, who have lost all their information once, commonly become the people who back up their computer.  I have never lost my computer information due to a crash, but the fear of losing my entire dissertation when writing it many years ago, taught me to perform backups.  And it has paid off.  While working for a publishing house several years ago, my computer died.  Well passed resuscitation, much less resurrection, if all my data had been on my computer I would have lost months of work.  As it turned out, it took longer to drive to the store, select, purchase, and set up the new computer than it did to restore my information. 
            What if we could back up our lives like our information?  What if we could simply restore at a particular point, skipping over or rewinding, something that was particularly discomforting or annoying?  Actually, many folks with kids have a living, breathing backup, who will recall at the most unfortunate of moments, recently or distant occurring events. 
            Nope.  There is no backup.  We can prepare for what seems inevitable, and we should prepare – but that is no guarantee.  And it doesn’t really matter if you lock yourself up in a room or run uphill during a hailstorm.  There is no back up. 

This is a thin place. 
           

No comments:

Post a Comment