Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Red coat

I must share with you the story of the red coat as it spans two of my recent adventures. Upon learning that I was heading to Cambodia last year my brother began reading up on Cambodian history including the entire nasty ordeal involving the Khmer Rouge (Red Cambodians). He warned me to watch out for the Khmer Rouge, and I assured him, sort of, that they were gone and there was really nothing to fear. In preparation for my departure to Cambodia I was having a pedicure and talking with my Vietnamese friend. And she told me in very heavily accented English “be sure to take a ‘red coat’”. While I thought I had sufficiently prepared for the trip I did not have a ‘red coat’. So I asked why? And she said umbrella no good, need ‘red coat’. Check. Rain coat. When I told my brother he just shook his head and said “Khmer Rouge.” In preparation for coming to Iona I purchased an interesting hoodie with built in ear buds, so that you can plug your IPod into the pocket and hear it through the hoodie strings. It was a great price on sale, and it could be left behind on Iona, thus freeing up valuable luggage space and weight. Most of all it was distinctive enough, or so I thought, that I might stand out. You see, the hoodie is bright red. Not unique to Iona, apparently every third person has a red coat, including every one of the Swedish guests we had last week. So in a vain effort to stand out in the end I am not distinctive at all. Maybe that’s a thin place.

No comments:

Post a Comment