Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Recycle, Reuse, Redoing

I just wanted to comment publicly about the absence or near absence of recycling in most US cities. And I realize some places do well but we could all do more. My home city does not have curb side pick up for recycling, but I do believe there is a place where you might be able to drop off some things. I say might, because I heard about it thru someone else, but have never confirmed it. I live in one of the ten largest cities in the state, and there is no obvious effort to recycle. I say that because I am currently on a very small island off the West Coast of Scotland which you cannot accidently get to. It is two islands away from the largest land mass and metropolitan area. It is serviced by a ferry that operates from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. There is no bank on the island, it comes (by ferry) on Wednesday afternoons. And the entire island recycles everything. All veggie waste and some paper go into compost. Every piece of paper is used twice, once on the front and once on the back. Our plastic, glass and cans are all sorted, either to be recycled or reused for storage, cleaning or crafts. And it is not simply the Iona community, but the whole of the island that participates. Everyone has two to three bins that will be emptied by the proper truck, when it comes to the island by ferry. Each morning we open worship with – the world belongs to God, the earth and all its people. Perhaps we need to live into that.

No comments:

Post a Comment