Friday, June 11, 2010

What is a thin place?

Searching for thin places is not the latest fad diet. It is a quest to find and explore “thin places.” The ancient Celts said that heaven and earth are only three feet apart, but in the “thin places” that distance is even smaller. Their belief was that a veil separates heaven and earth and in these “thin places” the veil is pulled away for a glimpse of the glory of God. This search is conducted using our physical senses, but also the added perspective of sensing the spiritual. And these are delicate places, you can easily hurry past them, searching requires the patience of allowing them to reveal themselves. There are those that would distinguish between “thin places” and “thin moments,” but I am not sure that I would. Too often we miss the place and the moment by not taking the time to allow for the place or the moment to reveal itself.

There are those who believe that these thin places are in ancient locations, which is fortunate for me, because in my search I will have to travel to those sites. In this blog site, I want to share those travels and revelations with you. Perhaps our day to day hurry, keeps us from finding the near “thin places”, and it is only in travel away from our daily life that we take the time to find those places.

For me, this search is largely about becoming a thin place. What if we were so drenched in the love of God, that we became a thin place? What would our world be like if our presence with others gave them a glimpse of the glory of God? And while I really am excited about the possibilities that lie ahead, my greatest excitement is how this will manifest itself in my daily world.

People usually consider walking on water or walking in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is to walk on earth.

Thich Nhat Hanh

No comments:

Post a Comment