Friday, June 25, 2010

Day off, week one finished

Because part of my job involves providing childcare for the cook’s daughter, I have my days off set by the cook’s schedule. So I have a full day off each Wednesday and a partial day off on Friday. Wednesday is a good day off because it marks a week on the island. So it continues the rhythm of the Abbey.
Planning a day off on a small island can be a bit complicated, because work could easily draw you back in. On one hand you miss the people that you spend so much time with, but on the other you don’t want to go to the workplace. So it is a balancing act. I got up early. I admit it is a habit, but a difficult one to break when the room is as bright as midday by 5:00 a.m. I had a cup of tea or two, and did a bit of writing. Then I walked up to the Abbey for morning prayers. And then for a day off treat I walked down to the Argyll Hotel and had breakfast. What I wanted was a roll and bacon, locally called bacon booty, but instead had French toast. Very yummy. Then I went to a couple of the sessions at the Abbey. This week is a reflection on the 1910 Edinburgh Ecumenical gathering, led by Norman Shanks and Isabelle Smythe. Shanks focus on ecumenism and Smythe on interfaith interactions. Both were very interesting. Then I went back to Cul Shuna, my residence, and read a book for a wee bit.
At 1:30 p.m. I joined the guests from the Abbey and went on a boat trip to the island of Staffa. The boat was a great trawler probably about 45 feet, rated for 65 passengers, with two massive diesel engines. They take you right up to the stone face of Staffa and drop you off for an hour. There are two principle points of interest on Staffa, the puffins and Fingal’s Cave. I will write more on my visit to Staffa. On our return, realizing we would be going into the current and against the tide, I picked a strategic point on the boat, forward and behind a bulkhead. I didn’t get nearly as drenched as some of the others did.
Upon return I changed clothes and went to Martyrs bay restaurant for a fish supper, a nicely dressed haddock and chips, finished off with a nice latte. Then I went up for evening worship. The Abbey house serves tea following worship, but I walked back to Cul Shuna with another volunteer and we had a cup of tea there. So it was early to bed. Not a bad day off.
So I have completed a full week of work on Iona. There are so many different things to remember. Friday this group of guests leaves and it only seems yesterday that we welcomed them on Saturday. It seems that Sunday is a crazy hectic day. Friday is busy but not hectic. Saturday starts of slowly and builds to a crescendo. Leaving Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday as normal days, and Wednesday is my day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment