Thursday, June 17, 2010

A little traveling music please


Today is another traveling day.  I began with a breakfast at my hotel, and then a nice walk down George’s Street in Oban.  A cup of coffee at MacT’s, and then to the Internet café to post stuff on the blog.  But bummer of all bummers, the machine wouldn’t read my text, so only pictures were posted.  Back to the hotel, and checked out, great place.  A brief taxi ride down to the ferry and I am on my way.  Interesting.  I really haven’t heard any accents from the U.S. until today.  I have heard lots of Scots, some German, a little French, Italian, but today for the first time since the plane I heard folks from the states.  I met Deb and her little crew from Seattle Pacific University.  They are spending 10 days at Iona on a Lilly grant to examine their vocation and call.  How cool is that? 
Our ferry from Oban to Mull is quite a huge vessel, M/V Isle of Mull; I would certainly compare it to the biggest ferries in the Northwest.  And excellent accommodations, you could be outside, you could be inside, you could have lunch, or a sandwich, tea, coffee and even a wide variety of “ice cream.”  That ride was about 50 minutes.  I hopped right off that boat, and onto a coach, that was about full.  It took us to Fiohnnport, a little over an hour along the Isle of Mull.  Although it was a grey, wet day the beauty was obvious.  The sheep manage to escape the fences and several were along the roadway.  The road is one lane, with many “passing places,” places where you must pull over and wait for oncoming traffic.  There is a courtesy about it, not dictated by size.  Several times our great bus had to wait for a small car to pass.  This is particularly interesting because it became a part of the evening worship service. 
One taxi, a ferry, a coach and now another ferry.  A smaller one this time, but still able to carry vehicles, but larger than the three car ferry at the Rio Grande crossing.  This ride was only 10 minutes and oddly enough I had a few moments of anxiety.  How will I know what to do next?  Do I forge ahead?  Do I await further instructions?  I had fleeting thoughts about some of the young people I went through Missioner training with who have since traveled off to the Congo or South Africa, and here I was worrying about getting of a ferry on an island where I speak the language and essentially look like the natives.  What a dope. 
And of course there was nothing to fear.  Chris, the shepherd of volunteers was there to meet me and my four new colleagues.  We walked to our home, Cul Shuna, and had an orientation session.  Then Chris showed us all the important places we needed to know about.  It was essentially the 50 most important things about Iona, which you will have to ask someone about tomorrow, because you can’t possibly remember them today.  We then had an opportunity to unpack, and rest or wander.  The only expectation for us was to be at dinner.  But after dinner a couple of us went to the weekly staff meeting.  Tonight it was managed by Jamie, the assistant warden and the worship leader.  We explored what we understood worship to be.  I think there are at least 12 different nationalities present, and I know that the person from South America was not there. 
From there we went to worship in the Abbey.  Quite a start.  Wednesday evening worship is creative space, and the theme for tonight was “passing places.”  What would it mean for us to use passing places as a time to reflect on those around us?  To use those times patiently rather than as an interruption.  To perhaps think in terms of those being places that can become thin if we would give them the opportunity to become that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment