Thursday, May 9, 2013

In the everyday

Here it is the summer time and my plans for this year are rather mundane.  That is to say I am not traveling amazing lengths of time to any far off and glorious place.  And that is not to say that I am not going to visit glorious places, they will simply be closer to home.  As it turns out, if you want to travel extreme distances, someone has to pay for that, and I would be that someone.  So this is a working summer.  But if my premise has become that thin places are where we are, and we only have to them where we are, then what greater excuse could I have to search for thin places in my everyday.  

Now the inherent problem is perhaps two fold -- the largest of which is what if the everyday is not a thin place or doesn't actually have the potential to become a thin place -- well certainly no other way to discover that than by jumping in with both feet.  The second problem, one that I encountered when attempting to write this blog during Lent, is that "real life" can impose itself with such voracity that I am not permitted or not able to keep up with the blog.  The beauty of writing when removed from the day to day is that you actually have time.  So the challenge is maintaining the blog, and the search for thin places in the midst of reality.  

And what about those glorious places.  Well on tap this summer, a quick multi-purpose jaunt to New Orleans, 10 days sailing the Texas coast, a pleasure and business trip to Colorado, and a host of summer school classes.  Plenty of potential for the thinness of places.  

Will you come along?

No comments:

Post a Comment