Sunday, January 15, 2012

Constant Reminders

It has been my privilege for most of this academic year to be a leader of the confirmation class at Asbury UMC. It is a smaller class than usual, and that has afforded me the luxury of getting to know each of these young people. Asbury Bossier follows confirmation model that extends through the entire school year, giving the young folk the chance to get to know one another through learning and fun, as this also serves as their gateway to the Youth group. During the fall we focused on our Christian roots and history. We visited a synagogue, a Catholic church, Episcopal Church, and a UM church different from our own. We have explored Methodist history, and are now turning our thoughts toward what does it mean to be a Christian. All this is to move towards helping these sixth graders make some very important decisions; will I choose to follow Christ, will I choose to reaffirm my infant baptism, will I choose to become a United Methodist and finally, will I choose to join Asbury UMC.


Throughout this pilgrimage in the Land of Israel, I have been continually reminded about my young homies. Very early in our time together I had chosen the Jerusalem cross as their symbol, and it appears on their confirmation t-shirt. The Jerusalem cross is actually five equally sided crosses, with a large one in the center and one smaller one in each of the four quadrants. Historically it is said to be the cross of the crusaders, with the larger cross representing Christ and the four smaller ones the gospels. Alternately it is said to depict the five wounds suffered by Christ; the hands, feet and side. We have seen it on the vestments of the Catholic priest, and the confirmands have become quite good at locating versions of it. Well, it is everywhere here in the Holy Land. One church must have had about 100 of them, and each one I have seen I have had to take an image, and it reminds me of the decisions that have to be made at home.

This is a thin place.

No comments:

Post a Comment